MILL AT COLDWATER
Built by JACOB GILL in 1833
In 1830 Indians of the surrounding region were gathered on a reserve along a newly opened road connecting The Narrows (Orillia) and Coldwater. The superintendent, Capt. Thomas Gummersal Anderson and a band of of Ojibwa under Chief Aisance, settled in Coldwater. Land-hungry settlers influenced the government to move the Indians to Rama and Beausoleil Island 1838-39. This grist-mill, financed with Indian funds, was constructed by Stephen Chapman, JACOB GILL and others in 1833. The mill was sold to George Copeland in 1849 and has been in operation for over 125 years.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
created & copyright by: Loree Leatherdale-Wilson. Information online for descendant use only. Updated March 2000